In an otherwise unremarkable September morning, long before I learned to be ashamed of my mother, she takes my hand and we set off down New Jersey Avenue to begin my very first day of school.

After I read this passage, what stood out to me most was the first sentence – specifically the phrase “long before I learned to be ashamed of my mother.” This, in particular, struck me as interesting because of  the way children look at their parents when they are young. I remember looking at my own mother when I was five and thinking that she did not have a single flaw. As I got older and the more I began to learn, I started to get a grasp on the reality of what it means to be human.  In the story, the reader receives a view of the mother through the child’s eyes. The child is grasping something that is potentially embarrassing for both herself and her mother: the mothers inability to read. I would assume that this is the first flaw that the young girl is seeing in her mother, and that it is the start of other flaws coming to light down the road. While the narrator does experience shame for her mother, there is also a sense of pride in her. Despite the mother’s flaws, the daughter still holds admiration for her mother.