Stories, like conjuring tricks, are invented because history is inadequate for our dreams.

– Steven Millhauser

In Steven Millhauser’s “Behind the Blue Curtain,” the narrator, a young boy, who goes to the movies every Saturday afternoon during the summer with his father. Until one day his father is unable to take him, so he is left to go to the movies alone. However, when he goes to the movies alone he was in a daze and ends up missing the entire movie. The narrator begins to walk around the theater and explore his surroundings. He finds a door that leads him to “a narrow corridor carpeted in red.” While exploring, he comes across someone: “a tumult of bouncing blond curls shaped like small tubes, a pouting red mouth and round blue eyes, a neckline that exposed the top third of high, very white breasts, which appeared to be pressed tightly upward.” As he continues to follow the girl, he begins to feel something unfamiliar. The narrator says “An unaccountable desire seized me: I wanted to feel the satiny material of her corset, I wanted to place my hand on the fire-lit white breathing cloth.” As he kept walking to the corridor, he came out to a room he recognized, the theater. The narrator comes out to find his father waiting outside the theater.

One Response to ““Behind the Blue Curtain” by Steven Millhauser”

1. Rosa: Sentence fragments and tense shifts:

In Steven Millhauser’s “Behind the Blue Curtain,” the narrator, a young boy, who went to the movies every Saturday afternoon during the summer with his father. Until one day his father was unable to take him, so he is left to go to the movies alone. However, when he went to the movies alone he was in a daze and ends up missing the entire movie.